Tuesday, July 5, 2011

For the love of science!

A few weeks ago I taught a class called "Mad Scientists" and we had a blast! I think one of the best parts about being a teacher is that you get to be a kid again. The class only had 8 students in it, which was great because it was just enough to have whole group and small group work. We were also able to do more experiments since they took less time. I was also able to experience my first field trip. We went to Coe College to see what "real science labs" looked like. Other than the students complaining it was hot outside when we went from building to building, it was a great day.

Some of the topics we covered were: Light/Reflection, Color, Senses, mixtures, and density.

I think the biggest thing I practiced with the class is teachable moments and how to utilize them. This was the perfect class to do this for since we didn't have a set curriculum and I was able to design the lessons.I tried to take a lot of their conversations and just go with it. Luckily with the use of technology this was relatively easy. The room had internet and a Smartboard... what more does a teacher need? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment