Wednesday, May 11, 2011

even on my weakest days....

So it's been awhile since I've written here and a lot has happened. But tonight I saw something that somewhat upset me and made me see things from a different light.

I had a not so great day at a school that I student taught at. I left with a negative attitude and thinking about how much I'm going to dread going to school tomorrow. First off, I have to remember that tomorrow is a new day just like turning the page in a note book. If you make a mistake there's always another chance.

Then tonight I read on Facebook a post between a few other subs. One sub had a bad day and posted about it... That lead into dissing a school and another sub said how they would never go back to that school and how the children there are horrible. I understand how someone could have a bad day, but is that fair to state on a public forum how horrid a school is? Just because one class (or maybe even 2) classes where not all that great behaved, doesn't make the school a bad place. That isn't fair to the teachers who are working very hard with the students, that isn't fair to the students who are really trying. Students are not "bad kids" just because they act in away that goes against the norm. I believe some kids are not meant to be in a school setting. I think it's frustrating for them to have to wait to be called on to answer a question, or to stop in the middle of an assignment in order to go on to the next thing. This can cause a lot of frustration, thus leading to seemingly bad behaviors.

I had a student who I reflected a lot on at the end of the day. He was often thought of as being "defiant" or "rude" basically because he wanted to share the knowledge he had and didn't want to just wait to be called on. Then when he wasn't called out he just blurt out. This student was also very intelligent and acted more mature for his age. I saw this student again earlier today and I could tell he did not like his surroundings and I've heard from his teacher that he just wants to go to a different school. I am a guest teacher in his room on Friday and I know before we butted heads. I'm hoping to use my new understanding and maybe it will help...

Back to my original thought... A school shouldn't be put down because of one bad class. I think as teachers we need to try and look deeper at what is causing the issues, why are the students acting like they are and what needs are we not meeting for them. I think we must remember why we wanted to become teachers in the first place and realize we have one of the most important and challenging jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment